3.02.2011

Small Package

Recently I've begun a most fantastic collaboration with Bread Oven here in Omaha (by complete accident! more on that in a bit). Bread Oven for the past 2 years now has been providing Omaha with some of the most fantastic Frenchy food stuffs we could ever possibly want and we have to give due credit to the maître de cuisine, Vicki Swartz! Big surprises come in small packages and the lovely Swartz is no exception. 

Nearly just a week ago, upon loosing my keys to Château Stätz, I wandered aimlessly blowing up the phones of friends I had recently visited, coworkers I had been near, when I found myself standing in front of Bread Oven craving a croissant like I had had years prior in Paris (where I also lost my room key).

Upon my stressful situation I felt fully justified on my carb-a-holic indulgence. Vicki - frantic + composed all at the same time - catering away, dealing with people like myself (having a carb melt-down), waved to me and I began my anxious wait in a short line. Anxiety being the way it is, I changed my mind a million times in 2 minutes. I finally select the prosciutto sandwich... 3 hours later I have three dirty plates, 2 dirty demitasse and a new best friend. 


A few short and snowy days later Swartz and Statz discuss the Visiting Nurse's Associations' Art + Soup show - a fabulous charity event showcasing local artists and local chefs; the former selling their wears to patrons and the public, the later competing for the title of Best Soup and more importantly - best presentation... thus a collaboration is born. Georgia Peach Soup meets Southern Decadence in the most fabulous table the VNA has ever seen. First place in table decor goes to Bread Oven: Swartz & Statz.

Oh! and I found my keys to my place. They were in that tiny annoying fifth pocket in my new carbon skinny jeans - like I said earlier, small packages - big surprises.



1 comment: